Monday, November 8, 2010

{ pardon my absence, and a ? }

My deepest apologies to you lovely readers who may have been checking in here and not seen any new posts for some time now. I've been very busy as of late, and honestly, also a tad uninspired with ideas to post about. I'm trying to get out of my funk and back into blogging. So here goes....
Hanging televisions over fireplaces...how do you feel about this? This subject matter has become the great debate between the Mr. and myself lately. I've never really been a fan of it. I don't think I'm alone here. I feel like putting that big black box above the mantle has been taboo in the design world for a while. And yet, recently I'm seeing more and more examples of spaces where this whole look comes across as polished, beautifully minimalist, and just plain right.
Very pretty, huh? There's also just something that makes sense about combining these two focal points into one. But I think I'd still prefer a compromise solution. Perhaps something like this.or this What about you? Do you like the look of a sleek plasma screen over the mantle or do you prefer the television be housed atop an entertainment center of sorts? Or are you like me and prefer the idea of being able to hide the TV away when not in use?

3 comments:

Kelli said...

I actually want to mount our TV (when we get one) above our fireplace but I'm not sure it will work or it would be really expensive because it's all brick. I've seen in done in another home and I loved it. It would also open so much space for us. Go for it!

Laura said...

I really like the look both ways. Knowing you, you'll make it look great no matter what you choose! Good luck convincing your hubby to agree with your choice ;)

Anya said...

You know what you can do to make it feel more like artwork? For yourself, or when you have people over, you can play some gorgeous HD nature scene. There's a great show on a Nature or Discovery channel that's an hour of a sunrise... somewhere in the world (beach, peru, ireland, mountains, a farm, etc...),with no commercials. Beautiful and no sound except the nature sounds from the location. But you'd have to get an HD DVR... ; )