Thursday, June 24, 2010

{ real recipe- slow cooker success }

I made this for dinner last night, and it was a hit with my whole family. I just love when that happens! I tweaked it a bit from the original recipe (which is from Real Simple magazine). Slow-Cooker Asian Short Ribs
Serves 4
Hands-On Time: 20m
Total Time: 7hr 30m
Ingredients
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 beef short ribs (about 4 pounds)
4 medium carrots, peeled and halved crosswise
1 small green cabbage (about 1 pound), quartered
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
*1 package Ramen noodles (my addition)

Directions
1.In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper. Add the short ribs and carrots and arrange in a single layer. Lay the cabbage on top.
2.Cook, covered, on high for 5 to 6 hours (or on low for 7 to 8 hours―see note below), until the meat is tender and easily pulls away from the bone.
3.Transfer the cabbage, short ribs, and carrots to plates. With a large spoon or ladle, skim the fat from the cooking liquid and discard.
*Here's where I added 1 package of Ramen noodles to the pot. (Discard that icky seasoning packet, please. Blech). Make sure the noodles are submerged in the liquid.
4.If the slow cooker is on the low setting, turn it to high. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water until smooth. Whisk into the cooking liquid and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the sesame oil. Spoon the sauce over the short ribs and vegetables and sprinkle with the scallions (if using). Bon appetit!

*image via RealSimple

6 comments:

Laura said...

Mmmm...not that I ever doubted it, but something tells me I'm going to enjoy hanging out here ;)

So glad that you are doing this!!

Carmen said...

Wow! This looks incredibly yummy and I don't even eat ribs! Since hubby does, I will be surprising him with this one night. Thanks for sharing!

elisabeth (bovagoods) said...

yum. that looks good. my hubby hates cooked carrots so i would have to leave those out. a shame, isn't it? also, rachel, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! don't you just love getting comments? makes you feel like there are people out there who don't think you are nuts! who "get" it! ;) so excited about your blog. keep 'em comin'!

Pint-size Bookworm said...

Holy, holy cow! I will have to try this - I'm sure John will love it. :)
- Julie

HC said...

Nom! tho not a beef nibbler - interested in Asian food. Can I steal some of the veggies? ;)

Amanda said...

21 WWPointsPlus per serving...no wonder it's so yummy....dang.