Sunday, July 11, 2010

{ kiss me kate }

Kate Spade, oh how I love thee.
Your pieces are modern yet classic, with a playful touch of whimsy.
Your expert use of happy color combos makes me swoon.
The way you accesorize and style your ensembles is flawless .

And then there's your shoes!

They
are

all

GLORIOUS.

I'm particularly fond of these ribbon embellished, pink and orange T-strap sandals below. I thought I'd try my hand at creating a DIY version of these $200(!) beauties.

I started with this $9 pair from Bakers.

But they're already embellished, right? Yes, but they look cheap and ugly, and just altogether ick (in my opinion). I took off the gaudy rhinetones, gathered up some pretty spools of ribbon, put the munchkins down for a nap, and went to work. Boy, all that meticulous ribbon tying and snipping takes a while! My wonderful husband kept the little men entertained when it was time to break out the glue gun. Hot glue is not your toddler's friend, people. I stitched the ribbon ties into place for added security, and now my cheapo sandals look like this.

Not bad for eleven bucks total, eh? Hope you have a great week!
*images via Kate Spade

4 comments:

Carmen said...

OMG! I adore your embellished flip flops! They look lovely! What a wonderful and creative, one of a kind creation. I went to a party a couple of years ago where we took a pair of $1 flip flops and ribbon-dazzled them. I got compliments on them all summer. Did it as a project with my girl scout troop.

Also love the Kate Spade top! Have a great week!

HC said...

Ouw! Kate Spade items are so cute, I hadn't heard of her before, great selection - the rosette top & pink and red skirt <3
You rock! love your creation ;)utterly lovely, and rewarding make.

Rachel {polkadots and puppies} said...

Thanks, gals! I'm thinking of giving a version of that rosette top a go as well. That trend is everwhere lately, and I LOVE it.

Ooooh, sounds like a cool project, CJ. Bet those gals had glamourous tootsies ;)

Charlotte said...

Rachael your such a smartie pants!!!