Thursday, May 12, 2011

{ real recipe - yellow curry shrimp }

I'm a saucy kind of gal.  That is to say, I just adore sauces of all kinds.  I also love spicy foods. Yum.  I fell in love with this spicy, yellow curry sauce that I recently picked up from Trader Joe's.  I swear I want to marry it.  This stuff is delicious, spicy and makes it a breeze to whip up an impressive meal, lickety split.  I'm talking 15 minutes from start to finish! A warning though, this stuff has quite a kick, so if you have normal kids (unlike mine), you might want to skip this one for the little guys.  My Jack and Grant devoured this stuff though.  Jack took a bite, then said,
"Ahhhh, my mouth is on fire!". 
 Then he would continue on eating, giggling the whole time. Wacky kid.

Ingredients:
2 Tbs - olive oil
1 package frozen stir fry veggies
1 bottle Trader Joe's Yellow Curry Sauce
1 package Mahatma Yellow Saffron rice or 2 1/2 cups Thai coconut ginger rice or jasmine rice or brown rice, or whatever rice tickles your fancy
14 oz. peeled, deveined, uncooked shrimp
*optional: 1 cup chopped fresh cabbage, a handful of chopped green onion

Directions:
Cook rice according to package directions.
Heat oil in skillet or wok. Add veggies (and fresh cabbage, if using) and saute for 2 minutes. Then add 2 Tbs of water, cover and let steam for 4-5 minutes.  I think the veggies taste best when tender, but still crisp. Uncover, add shrimp and green onions and stir fry for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add yellow curry sauce and let heat through. Serve spooned over rice.  Yummy times a million.  Spicy too :)

Makes 4 generous servings

3 comments:

Lisa said...

looks delicious!!! I will have to put this on the menu.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tammy said...

We tried this tonight! Well, I tried the sauce. Well, now that I think about it, it may have been red not yellow. I used chicken and basmati rice. Sigh, guess I didn't truly try it. I tried the thai curry sauce from TJ's. :). We liked it!