Wednesday, January 25, 2012

{ i spy a diy - with bovagoods! }


Today I am absolutely delighted to bring you a guest post, courtesy of my ridiculously creative and talented friend, Elisabeth.  Take a peek at her tutorial for some easy-peasy and totally darling, fabric flowers. If you're anything like me, you'll be itchin' to grab your glue gun and fabric scraps like, lickety-split!
 Take it away, E!

Hello, Polkadots and Puppies People!

I am thrilled to be guest posting here today on one of my all-time favorite blogs.  This is such a happy place, isn't it?

Rachel and I go way back to college where we often spent the night in the studio draping, sketching, sewing, and pattern making. Now we are both bloggers and still stay up all night pinning, reading, posting, and creating. Ok, well, we probably don't pull as many all-nighters as we used to but we still share the love of all things creative, crafty and colorful.

My blog is called Bovagoods. I love to share with my readers my DIY projects, before and after projects, Pinterest love, thrifting finds and any other "goods" I am inspired by.


Rachel has asked me to share my fabric flower goods with you today, and I couldn't be more excited to do it!

If you have fabric scraps, felt, buttons, a hot glue gun and some hair clips or headbands then you are already prepared to make the project I am here to share with you today.


The tutorial that inspired me to make these can be found here.

Here's what you need:



Fabric Scraps 
Clips, Pins or Headbands
Felt
Buttons (or other items for the center of the flower)
Hot Glue Gun

Cut out a bunch of fabric circles:


The bigger the circle, the bigger the flower. 
If you cut out 5 inch circles, you will end up with a 5 inch flower. 
(Note: 5 inch flowers are really big.)

Mine are made with two different size layers. You could do one layer, or three layers.

It takes six circles per layer.

The circles don't have to be exact.

I looked around the house and used bowls, cups, etc. for patterns.

Stack up the six layers of fabric, hold the card stock pattern on top and cut.

Cut some felt into a 2 inch circle. (You will need 1 felt circle per flower.)


Take a fabric circle, and fold in half:


Then, fold that like this:


Then, flip that over and fold over the other half.


Then, you have something that looks like this:


It sort of looks like a double cone thingy.

Take your glue gun and put a bit of glue between the layers of fabric at the bottom near the points to keep them closed/folded. Don't use too much glue and don't smoosh it out all flat or you'll have flat flowers.


You will have a bunch of these:


Now start gluing them to your 2 inch felt circle.


Glue the smaller petals on top.


It will look like this on the bottom:


Then glue the button to the center and when that dries, glue on your clip, pin, headband, etc. to the back.


I made my girls some flowers out of white linen to wear for Easter.


Dresses: Clearance rack at GAP Kids
Pink sandals: Wal-mart
White sandals: Target-fall clearance
Hand painted basket/purse: vintage family piece

This one started out as a huge 5 inch flower. it was way too big. (Maybe on a headband it would work) I had to trim it down a bit. It ended up being about 4.5 inches.


This one is the 4 inch size.


I needed to add some color to my dress for Easter so i pinned a couple of flowers to my waistband.

Dress: Land's End Canvas (clearance last year)
Shrug/sweater thing: tj maxx
Silver necklace: lisa leonard
Blue beaded necklace: vintage
Earrings: Target
Sunglasses: Coach (found at Tj Maxx)
Flowers: Made by me!

The flowers on my dress are 3 inch and 3.5 inch with safety pins glued to the back. I also played around with pinning the blue one to the side of my necklace. It was really cute. So many ways to use these.

Pin them to your belt, necklace, purse, top, hair, jacket, bathing suit, beach bag, throw pillow.....

Pin It


So easy. So good. Thanks for having me Rachel!

xoxo,
Elisabeth

3 comments:

Jessie said...

They are so cute! I love all the colors and patterns.

elisabeth (bovagoods) said...

This is so fun! I love visiting P&P! Thanks again, Rachel! xo, E

Jodi@ underthegeorgiasun.com said...

o.m.geezz!! LOVE these!!!!